Monday, August 8, 2011

Vocalizing during labor




So I was reading THIS article today from a childbirth educator about "Sounding" out your birth. I think this is so validating to many women. She talks about how many of us watch other's birth videos with sound edited out so we don't hear what women can sound like during labor. With Leo, since I had taken Hypnobabies, I was a little embarrassed that I had made so much noise..kind of a yelling/vocalizing sound. The videos we had seen showed the moms heavy breathing at best. I realized after his birth that I am not quiet when I am not in labor, so why would I be during this intense physical work. I was loving the sounds I was making during Sophia's birth. I had music on and Gary said that I was pretty much always in tune with whatever song was on. It felt so good and relaxing to actually sing a long, loud note rather than yell. I knew as a singer how much easier it was to use a supported sound rather than lose my voice yelling or screaming. I was amazed at how long I could hold each note. I watched some of the video I have from my labor with her and I sound so strong. I was still VERY loud..especially as the contractions were building. Gary had to turn his head a bit so he wouldn't get ringing in his ear since I was face to face with him most of my labor. I think it needs to be put out there that a woman is not a "better" birther because she is quiet. Whatever makes your body relax and open the best is going to vary from woman to woman. If you need to belt like a Broadway singer, hum, sigh, grunt, yell, or drone, do it. It is not a measure of how good a birther you are. Some who saw or heard about my last 2 births may think that since I was loud, I was not very good at having a peaceful natural birth. Let me say that as intense as it was and as loud as it got, it was a peaceful birth. I felt strong and did what I needed to do. I was felt respected and loved. I was treated with love and so were my babies as they were born.

So to others who might feel worried about being vocal or seeming out of control during labor, just know that you are not alone and there is no need to feel like you have to birth like the zen ladies on youtube.

1 comment:

Adria said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, Sarah! Because I also did the Hypnobabies program I didn't feel that vocalizing was something they encouraged at all, although I did end up vocalizing loudly as well! As I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy #2 I've already found that singing makes me feel better when I'm not feeling well and takes my mind off of pain. Perhaps singing during labor is the right thing for me too!